Turkey-Israel Relations Rome, Aspen Institute Italia
(Piazza Navona, 114)
Hosted by: Academic Exchange in Partnership with the Yitzhak Rabin Center and Aspen Italia
Wednesday, October 24
Thursday, October 25
- Conference Overview and Goals (9:30-9:40)—Nachum Braverman, Charles Kupchan, and Angelo Maria Petroni
- The Deterioration of Turkey-Israel Ties: How Did We Get Here? (9:40 – 12:30, with coffee break at 11)
A discussion of the political, diplomatic, economic, and ideological factors that have buffeted the bilateral Turkey-Israel relationship. What factors and sequence of events best explain the estrangement? Was it inevitable or avoidable?
Speakers: Soli Ozel, Alon Liel
Moderator: Lucio Caracciolo
- Turkey and Israel in a Changing Middle East (1:45-3:15)
An examination of the shifting political landscape in the region. Where do Turkish and Israeli interests overlap and differ in a changing Arab world? Where are their opportunities for cooperation? Where are the likely areas of tension?
Speakers: Kadir Ustun, Amos Harel
Moderator: Steven Cook
- Turkey, Israel, and Iran (3:30-5:00)
A discussion of policy toward Iran. What are the sources of different Turkish and Israeli threat perceptions of Iran’s nuclear program? From Turkish and Israeli perspectives, what are the pros and cons of containment versus preventive action, and what is the appropriate role of the United States and EU?
Speakers: Ephraim Sneh, Gokhan Bacik
Moderator: Bruce Jentleson
Friday, October 26
- Rapporteur Report (9:30-9:40)—Steven Cook
- Where Do We Go From Here? (9:40-12:30, with coffee break at 11)
A moderated brainstorming session on how to overcome the crisis in Turkey-Israel relations. What can Turks, Israelis, Americans, and Europeans do to help repair the relationship?
Facilitator: Brian Katulis
- Closing Lunch (12:30-1:30)